Saturday, April 24, 2010

Slowly but surely

We've started painting this week. We did not get done as much as we had hoped to because of other obligations we had, but it's a start!

Originally the inside of the store was pale blue walls and white trim.




That was probably fine for the flower shop that was there, but for Idiosyncrazies I want a warm, soft feel. 

For the walls we picked a nice warm brown, the ceiling will be a wheat kind of color and the trim will be a Moroccan rust and for the beams on the coffered ceiling, they will be a darker brown.  This may all change if I don't like the colors once they are up, but for now that's the plan.



There is a LOT of trim in this place.  Crown molding every freakin' where - luckily I am fairly patient!

Next thing to change will be the lights.  Currently there are horrific florescent lights on the ceiling and some outdated track lighting along the sides.  They will be gone!  I am scoping out some nice track lights with an antique brass finish and perhaps a few ceiling fans and flush mounted lights for the rest.  I don't want the place too bright.  There is plenty of wonderful sunlight that comes through the windows during the day and I would like to use as much natural lighting as possible.

I've lined up a few vendors and contacted a few local artists who do mosaics and metal sculptures.  I hope to put out an add on Craig's list for artists who may be interested in working on a consignment basis to keep my costs down. 

It is amazing that when people ask me what kind of store Idiosyncrazies will be that they almost always can tell me someone they know is an artist!  I need to make up some business cards so I can give them out to anyone who may be interested. 

I don't think I'll have any problem filling up the store, I just need a few more display cabinets and a couple of curio cabinets to make sure I can showcase everything!

Fun stuff so far! 


No comments:

Post a Comment